Monday, July 29, 2013

Chicago Love

What fun we had in the Inner City!!

100+ kids from the Chicago area came, heard and experienced God's love for 5 weeks. 



  The VBS Summer program at ICI (Inner City Impact) went for 4 weeks before we got there and GBC youth gave the children week 5. 



 Friday, the last day, was a fun day, with bounce houses,



Chick-Fil-A



and more fun!



No one really knew what to expect when we arrived.  A few of our kids were here last year and tried to fill us in on the details, but until you experience it.... there are no words. 



Being there and watching Ellie with her group was another piece of fruit in my harvest basket this Summer...

Ellie is in the bottom left holding the girls' arms in the air. :)

I was a little apprehensive when I heard Ellie would be with the older girls...but why do I worry!?  The girls loved her and her friend Maddison!  They were like big sisters to them.  Ellie was asked by one of the girls what the ring on her finger meant.  She was able to share about purity.  This was a foreign concept to all the girls.  Ellie and Maddison are missing "their girls". Praying seeds would be planted and bring forth a harvest we may never see until eternity...


When I signed up to be a sponsor, I was told I was a "floater", basically wherever Seth (our youth pastor) needed me, that's where I'd be.  He approached me the first day, just before it started, and said he'd like me to help Aaron, who had about 20 5yr olds.  In his group there's a boy with "brain damage", can you watch him?  "SURE!  I said..."

Christopher and I

OH MY!!!  WHAT A FIREBALL OF ENERGY TO SAY THE LEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We had quite the week of running here, there and everywhere.  Let's just say his attention span is almost as long as "the blink of an eye".
But underneath that little 5 year old skin, God is doin AMAZING things!!!!!  
Just when I thought Christopher was not understanding anything, and I couldn't catch my breath from running so fast, he picked up a piece of chalk and headed for the "chalkboard wall" in the entry way of the building and wrote.....


"MELT MY HEART!"
OH JESUS YOU ARE SO GOOD!!!
THANK YOU ALMIGHTY FATHER FOR BLESSING MY SOCKS OFF!!!

"Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather 
rejoice, because your names are written in heaven" Luke 10:20

God used Christopher and the other children touch each of our hearts more than we could ever imagine....

"But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things which are mighty;  and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,  that no flesh should glory in His presence."                   1 Corinthians 1:27-29

When I think of the love God gave me for Christopher and the other children, the Holy Spirit reminds me of how much He loves me...

"But thou, O Lord art a God full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth." Psalm 86:15

Thank you Father for not dealing with me after my sins; nor rewarding me according to my iniquities. (Psalm 103:10)

Praising God for an amazing week none of us will ever forget and praying for each of the lives we encountered along the way...

"Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers; That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power..." Ephesians 1:16-19









No comments:

Post a Comment