Tuesday, May 29, 2012


Have you ever made a covenant with God?

What is a covenant?

Covenant= in the sense of cutting; a compact (because made by passing between pieces of flesh)

Remember how in the Old Testament in the Bible they had to sacrifice sheep, etc to make covenants/ compacts?

Marriage is a example of a covenant.  The sexual act between a man and woman is the physical symbol of "passing between pieces of flesh".


The Bible is full of the word covenant.  Look it up and do a word study on it.  Covenants are VERY IMPORTANT to God! 

Have you kept your covenants that you've made to God?  I broke my covenant I made with God when I divorced Josh.  I know that's hard for many to hear, but it's the truth. 

In Jeremiah 34:18-20 God voices His anger when His people transgressed (= transition; to cover; do away; provoke to anger) their covenant.

"And I will give the men that have transgressed my covenant, which have not performed the words of the covenant which they had made before me, when they cut the calf in twain, and passed between the parts thereof, ...I will even give them into the hand of their enemies, and into the hand of them that seek their life: and their dead bodies shall be for meat unto the fowls of the heaven, and to the beasts of the earth."

Jeremiah 35:12-14 tells how the people listened and obeyed their fathers instructions, but not God's.  How many times do we obey the "laws of the land", but think nothing when we disobey God's Word?  "Because the sons of Jonadab the son of Rechab have performed the commandment of the father, which he commanded them; but this people hath not harkened unto me: Therefore thus saith the LORD God of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will bring upon Judah and upon all the inhabitants of Jerusalem all the evil that I have pronounced against them: because I have spoken unto them, but they have not heard; and I have called unto them, but they have not answered."

Because I broke my covenant that I made with God when I divorced Josh, I am even more thankful our God is a God of second chances.  That He made the ultimate covenant with us when He sacrificed His son on the cross.

"Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in onece into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us." Hebrews 9:12

"...Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling..." Hebrews 12:24a

"Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jeus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."  Hebrews 13:20-21

Please don't take your covenants lightly.  God paid the ULTIMATE price for you...He died for you.  The least we can do is live for Him.

"And I will cleanse them from all their iniquity, whereby they have sinned against me; and I will pardon all their iniquities, whereby they have sinned, and whereby they have transgressed against me." Jeremiah 33:8

1 comment:

  1. Tonya you are such an amazing writer! The Lord uses you for His purpose and I a very happy to come over and share with you!

    ReplyDelete