Saturday, February 11, 2012

Vitaliy: 4 Months



I have always tried to be very careful what I put on this blog, but I was reminded several days ago, from a gal that's been down this same road, to be VERY careful what I say on this world wide web. She has an older international adopted son also, that's now in jr. High/ High School, and kids have "googled" him. They found her blog and read all about his early days in the states. They have made fun of him at school. She has since tried to delete several years of a blog, it is almost impossible to do. Not a good situation to find yourself in.
So once again I have written things in a draft, then deleted them to tighten the reigns on what I say. I have so much to share about what God is doing in this new little man in our life, but feel I need to be even more careful. He is such a blessing to us and continually makes us laugh. Let's just say he's very thankful, even down to the style of his hair. Coming from a life of being told what to do your whole life, and not having anything that's "yours", it's nice to have a few things to call your own, including your own style.
His hair while in Ukraine

Vitaliy was excited to wear his hair like this for Wacky Day at School (Spirit Week)


He is having a lot of fun being himself. He is learning the rules at school and the things you do and don't do to others just to get others to laugh at you. Our family has all received letters in the mail from him while he's learning to write sentences in English at school.

If he's outside for any amount of time, be prepared to have your firewood stocked......

Pic taken after school on Wacky Day

.....animals fed and things fixed that you didn't know were broken. :) And if you can't find him or the dog, they're usually over the back hill running around exploring. Watch out if that's the case, he'll come inside covered in mud or dirt!

We have enjoyed almost 4 months of being a family of 5. He is such a blessing to us. Ian's favorite thing to do with his older brother is play basketball. V likes to make his sister laugh, and ride the 4 wheeler with his dad. He has told me, "You're a good mom." Melt my heart. We are all learning what it means to love.

It is so hard for us and our other adoption friends to understand why more people do not embrace adoption. When it comes to adoption/ hosting, I've heard some say, "if only we were younger...". There are a 1,000 excuses in the book. I met a couple while going through the adoption process who are retirement age! They adopted 3 teenagers. When you look at the big picture, Josh and I only have about 6 years with Vitaliy. It's not like these kids are babies. They don't need you to get up with them several times in the middle of the night to change their diapers and feed them. They need someone to love them and point them in the right direction. We have a picture of a 14 year old boy on our fridge right now in the foster care system. It is sweet to hear the kids pray that God will give him a family.  When we think adoption, we automatically think international. Orphans are everywhere.  In Kansas alone there are 850 orphans ready to be adopted into a family!  What does God want you to do? 

  How about a suitcase drive for the kiddos in the foster system?  Did you know they are given a black trash bag to collect their "belongings" before they're taken into the "system"?   If that doesn't make a young person feel like trash I don't know what would.




Check out the above website of a group in Kansas called Project Belong. They are doing what they can to help these kids.  God is at work all around us, if only we would open our eyes, seek His face and do what He asks us to do. I beg of Him to give us a heart like His, "set us ablaze for you O God."   I pray that we can see others through His eyes.

Remember, we are God's hands and feet.

"For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ." 1 Corinthians 12:12

What is He calling YOU to DO?

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

3 comments:

  1. HI Tonya,

    OH, yes, I'm also careful about what I post on my blog. I like to share, but there's a privacy wall around my family that I want to protect too...to a certain extent. One of the things I notice that bloggers do, which I love, is they have nicknames when referring to family members on their blog..i.e. dear hubby, Camper Kid (if a kid loves camping etc...that was just a made up name...but you get the idea. You could do that when referrring to your kids on your blog..that will allow you to write wiht more freedom, and still protect them if someone tries to do an internet search. Anyways, it's just a thought.
    I'm glad he's doing well. So amazed at what God has done in such a short time.
    Have a great weekend. Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tonya! Is this world so sad that we can not enjoy our own families without retribution? Oh My Goodness! That Vitaliy is so handsome! I like Heather's idea about using code names! My hubby is my "Sweets", our oldest son "J"(Jeremy), the middle is our middle daughter Rebekah! Who girl is Hannah, the baby is Nick! My oldest Noelle is my girl and her phamily! On it goes! But I think our world is so sad. I am always struck at the hatefulness of others when is comes to kids! But there is so much garbage on T.V. and when kids see stuff about making fun of others all over the place it is hard not to follow suit!
    My grandson went to a birthday sleep over last night. The other boy also a hs freshman was tickled to have him there. No one else showed up. Zach has a severe stutter! shame on those kids and their parents. You have to learn those bad manners and hateful attitudes somewhere. I feel much of it is at home.
    When my kids were in private school the principal had one rule no birthday party invites were to be handed out to a special few. All or none! It was her rule!
    I love blogging but if someone hassles me I will block them. Kids have so much to deal with today! I get really fired up about issues with kids! I think parents ought to act like parents. Kids will always have plenty of friends. But only parents to dish out advice, parenting rules etc. Oh, it is a tough world we live in.
    I am glad my oldest took after me and sent her boy to that birthday party. The kid has a slew of siblings and the parents were very kind. Sad world that kids can't be kind always.
    I will be back. I like hearing about your family and I love Linda at PFF to pieces! So I always love to hear about her family.
    My Sweets and I raised our kids like we were raised. Kindness to everyone and if you truly can not get along with someone just pray for them and avoid them at school. Nothing more you can do! Life is full of so much craziness. We try so hard to protect our kids.
    I love listening to all the stories of your families. Glad I stopped by and sorry I get so passionate about the kids!
    Have a beautiful week!

    Hugs and Blessings
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonya, I have been praying for Vitaliy since he came to stay with you the first time and contributed in a small way to his adoption. I too am an adoptive Mother. Im so happy that the Lord has blessed you with him and him with you. It is nice to see his face and hear that he is doing well. Thank you. I pray that the Lord will continue to work in all of your lives.

    Hugs XX
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete