Wednesday, February 29, 2012


I LOVE MY HUSBAND.
Why do we as wives fight the submissive thing so bad?
It’s ok.  It's there that you will find His rest.

Quit fighting it.

Relax, let God be in control.

“Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favor of the Lord.” Proverbs 18:22

Don’t you want God to use you to show His favor to your husband?  It’s a good thing to be a wife. 

I am not the horse lover like my Ellie is.  Of course I love them because she does, so this picture, taken by Jim Richardson from National Geographic caught my eye and I fell in love with it.  It a picture of a wild horse trying to break free from the cowboy who is trying to break him.


I bought a postcard of the print and, heard the Holy Spirit whisper, "that was you years ago.”  Jesus saved me when I was about 13.  But I thought that was all He wanted, to save me from hell.  I gave Him the “reins” to my life, but nothing more.  I didn't do anything for Him, not even talk to Him except right before bed.  Sure I went to church and a Christian school, I listened to Christian music and expected that since I "gave Him my life" everything else would turn out all roses, the way I planned....hmmmm.  Submit.  It’s hard to do.  Why is it so hard to learn how to submit to Christ and learn that life is not all about ME?! 
When I submit to my husband I am submitting to Christ.  Yep, take a breath, swallow and reread what I just said.  When I submit to my husband I am submitting to Jesus Christ.  How can I submit to God, whom I cannot see, if I cannot submit to my authority as a wife here on this earth?

“Submit yourselves therefore to God.” James 4:7b; “For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.  Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.” Ephesians 5:23

Submit- to subordinate; to obey-be under obedience (obedient)

(The exception… your husband asks you to do something against God’s commandments, but let’s stay focused on the issue in front of us.)

In my spiritual life I have found this to be true:  if I look at my relationship with my husband, it usually mirrors my relationship with God. 

When I submit to someone else, it is about the other person and not me.  See how I saw myself in the picture fighting against God?  God the Cowboy and me the wild horse.  It was during this same time I was fighting submissiveness to my husband. 

How can we submit to God if we're not reading His Word for instruction?  That was me.  When I did read, it was only the parts I wanted to hear.  After we read His Word, we need to do it!  Only until Christ brought me to my knees in marital difficulties was I ready to listen to His commands.  Only then did I quit acting like a wild bucking bronco and realize that The Master was trustworthy even with my dreams.  I can just picture myself as that wild horse.  When I do submit to Him it is then that He  "maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. Psalm 23:2.

 James 4:7 "Submit yourselves therefore to God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you."

Look what God promises me when I submit to Him...the devil WILL flee from me when I resist him!!  I love that promise!

Resist-to stand against; i.e. oppose; withstand

Flee- to run away; to shun; to vanish; escape flee away

God says if we don't submit to Him we are ignorant of His righteousness.

“For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.” Romans 10:3

His righteousness is the only thing that is worth value.  Ours is like a stinky rag.

“But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.” Isaiah 64:6

You say, “But I can submit to God.  He is The kind gentle Husband, a sweet gentleman who wouldn’t ask me to do anything but relax and enjoy the abundant life.”

Let’s think about that one for a moment.  What did He ask His own Son to do?  That doesn’t sound like a God who’s gonna let me sit back and eat bon bons all day. 

If you call yourself a Christ-follower, He says,

“If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.”      Mathew 16:24



I wish I would have learned what this verse meant, and how to come under Christ years ago, but I am so thankful He did not leave me where I was!

“Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, AS UNTO THE LORD.”
"Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore." Psalm 16:11





3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post...and I read another blog with a similar topic earlier this morning, too. I'm not married, but I think this could be applicable to how I treat my father, obeying my father etc :) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of California, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful God gave you to my Josh.......what a blessing you are to him my sweet Tonya! He will stand beside you one day in front of our Father.....He will hand you a crown.......I weep thinking of the gift you are giving our Abba. Thank you from one blessed Momma in Love! All because of Jesus!
    Love you, Me

    ReplyDelete