Thursday, July 14, 2011

My Little Bubble

Oh why is it so hard to get out of my little bubble?


It is so comfy and cozy isn't it.  But guess what, our Lord commands us to get out and go!

"GO therefore......" Matthew 28:19 

How can we go if we are protected by our surroundings?  Is that what Christ did?  Did He stay in his sweet little home hanging out with His closest friends while He was here on the earth?  Did He chat about the weather and the latest news?  NO!  He left his comfy surroundings to share His Father with the hurting.

 Luke 5:31 "Jesus answered and said to them, "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick."

The Lord laid this heavily upon my heart when I recently attended a "Christian function".  There were "Christian people" EVERYWHERE!  Then smack dab in the middle I saw a hurting woman. 


As I spoke with her she shared that she does not believe in church.  She does not go.  (Hmmmm... I wonder why!)  Where were the Christian people to come along side me and help me out?  To encourage her and invite her to come with us?  We could of been 3 against 1!  But no, they were congragrated in their little groups talking about where they were going on vacation and what they were eating for supper!  I was at a loss for words and was not the witness God needed me to be.  I pray that God will give me another chance. 

Please people, get out of your comfort zones!  Jesus did not sacrifice His life on the cross so we could talk about the latest news.  He did not give us His life so we could stand across the room and ignore the hurting woman.  He made her, He has a plan for her.  What if she walked out the door and died in a car crash!  What if she spent eternity in hell because I was too focused on discussing my vacation plans with my church friends?!

James 4:17 "Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin."





5 comments:

  1. Unfortunately the circumstance that you just described is seen more often than not...Yes..the Body of Christ needs to wake up and be about Him and not ourselves...It's a wonder the Church reflects more of the world and less of Him...
    Have a Blessed Day in Him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something that I really need to work on. I need to learn to be able to open up more and fit in with ladies.

    I thank you for coming up to me Sunday night at the server party. I had just gotten done telling Zach that I was feeling funny standing by myself all night long. That really made my evening better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonya, What a great post ;) :) Yes, it seems to be more and more the norm these days, It makes my heart sad. My dad would call this the "Modern Westinernization of Christianity" that's his term not mine.. but we are so far from the Christianity of biblical times, it's almost unrecognizable. Does that make sense? Yes, I hope that I'll be the person who notices the one that needs the hug or the person that needs ministering, too..like that lady you were talking about. Jesus Christ was all about investing in other people. We need to be that way, too. Thanks for sharing this, Tonya!!! Great Scriptures, too. Love and hugs from Oregon, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Ruby Jean! for sure! Ashley, you are such a blessing. It was a privilege to speak with you. Maybe someday soon we can hang out more. :) Heather, I completely agree with your dad. He sounds like a wise & Godly man. Makes perfect sense. Considering SO many people in the Bible died for their faith.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tonya,

    You are so right. We have seen that even at the "Christian" school our daughters attended. It happened with kids as well as adults. Another bone of contention for me is "Christians" being judgmental to the point of telling their kids not to hang around or associate with other kids at the same school. It is no wonder the world looks at Christians and says "no thanks". I also need to improve on stepping outside of my bubble and making the first move. Great post :)

    In Christ,

    Susan Montgomery

    ReplyDelete